Hobbies

My hobbies include Art, Birdwatching, Chess, Ham Radio, Photography, Stamp Collecting and Folk Music.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Folk Music

Mick Ryan and Pete Harris performing at The Brewtown Folk Club


Star & Garter



Friday is Folk Club Day, We call ourselves The Brewtown Folk Club.
We meet in a function room at a pub called The Star & Gartar

Tonight we have a Singaround, this is where we all take it in turns to sing or play. The others join in if they wish.

Alternate weeks we have professional guest artists. Recently we had Mick Ryan and Pete Harris; see above.

I will take along my Martin Accoustic Guitar and also a selection of harmonicas. I use Blues harps which are tuned to the keys of LowF, G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb and E.

I also have a chromatic harmonica which will play in all the keys.

This afternoon I will be doing some pracice. I intend to do the following tunes.

Leaving on a Jet Plane, written by John Denver.

In the Old Bazaar in Cairo, written by Charlie Chester, Ken Morris & Clinton Ford. This is a music hall song and quite funny.

Freight Train, written by Elizabeth Cotton, but made famous by the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group. I shall sing their version, although many of the lines are different from the original. This often happens in Folk Songs and sometimes causes arguments.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home